Saturday, March 19, 2011

Finally, the Christmas Present is done



For Christmas, I gave Teresa a pile of boards, with the promise that I would make her a music stand for her harp. I started working on it between Christmas and New Years with my very inadequate skills and my equally inadequate tools. I had a very simple design in mind, one that I thought I could handle. When I went looking for the right sized piece of wood for the top, I discovered Rick Miller of Logs To Lumber in Faber, VA. Rick has this amazing wood shop in this almost falling apart building in Faber (which consists of a Post Office and Rick's shop). Rick knows everything about everthing about wood and how to work it. Not only did Rick supply the piece of wood I was looking for, but transformed the project from a spartan thing I made in my garage, to a work of art. The top started out as a 1" thick oak plank that Rick pulled from a pile. He added so much detail to the stand, while keeping the original concept. So thanks for all your help Rick.



The long bolt sticking out of the side has been replace by a nice brass bolt of the correct length.



The top sitting on the base at the shop. Notice the curved feet. Originally, they were going to be square, but Rick would have nothing of that.

The interesting thing about this picture is not the stand, but the stuff in Rick's shop in the background.

3 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous. I love the clean, simple lines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I am VERY impressed! It really is something that can be passed on through the "generations of time". I am pretty sure Jeremy will think he would be the first (: ha
    Nice job though, really!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we will skip a generation and pass it right on to Parker or whichever one of the Grandkids that feed me the most cookies when I am old and feeble. Let the cookie count begin.

    ReplyDelete